Late Late Show Highlights
Sunday evening after Super Bowl XLVII there was a special episode of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson from New Orleans. Not surprisingly, it’s called the Craig Ferguson Super Bowl Special.
Before watching it I had thought that I would be able to do my standard segment-by-segment review of the show. Unfortunately, while it kinda sorta follows the late-night format, the show is so packed full of guests and pre-tapped bits that I decided it couldn’t be done.
Instead, I’m just going to suggest that you watch the entire show. But, being a reviewer, I want to get my two cents in first.
On the positive side:
- Overall the show is unique and fun.
- The cold open is spectacular considering they must have taped it only a few hours before the episode aired.
- The segments with Steve Carell, Julie Chen and Neil Patrick Harris ranged from good to very entertaining.
On the negative side:
- The show is painfully and unnecessarily overstuffed. They basically took the format for a week’s worth of shows in Scotland and tried to cram it into one show in New Orleans. It did not work.
- The segments with Channing Tatum, Nikki Reed and Drew Brees ranged from decent to terrible.
Still, unique and fun win over overstuffed in my book, so if you have the time I recommend watching it:
I give it: